I wanted to take the time to post an update. Today Michael is three weeks old already and he is weighing in at 3lbs 3 ounces. Michael was transfered to the Children's Hospital at Yale around 1:30am Wednesday morning. He went in style with a team of doctors and nurses with the lights and sirens blaring :) He did very well with the transport and has settled into his new spot at the Newborn Special Care Unit.
To date there has been some improvement with Michael's intestines. They are doing xrays about every 8hrs our so. As of last night his issue with the possible NEC has stayed the same, but it had not worsened. I have met a slew of doctors and specialists and he really is in THE best place and every part of his little body has been checked.
The plan is for him to continue to get the antibotic for the yeast infection for at least 7-10 days and he is on a cocktail of antibotics to help with the suspected NEC for at least 7-14 days. I do know that babies that have NEC and require surgery are very very sick babies and Michael has been doing well. Surgery is a last option if a baby with NEC is very sick and they need to fix the intestines. They will not do any exploratory surgery just because. Michael's vitals are all great, temperature great, he is peeing and pooping and when I saw him last night he was really feisty. One of the nurses told me she found him to be feisty-a nurse that isn't every with him. Only one day at the new place and he already has his reputation back :) I suspect he might be hungry as he is really sucking away on his pacifier AND yesterday afternoon he literaly ripped off his nasal canula (he had it on his face just for air)!!!!! The doctors don't suspect that he will loose any weight, he may gain some water weight along the way.
We are taking this day by day and literally sometimes xray by xray. Yale is about 45-50 minutes from home so we are bunking down in a hotel room for a few days and it looks like we may get to stay in the Ronald McDonald House for a few days too, which is right near Yale. Hershey has been shipped to Nana's for a few days. Michael will probably be at Yale at least 2-3 weeks. Once he is on the mend he'll be slowly introduced to breast milk again and our hope is transfered back to the hospital near us. I'll try to post updates when I can.
Thank you to everyone for keeping us in your prayers.
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Kristine,
This is Stefanie (Mom2Lucky&JJ) from the Lab chatboard. I just wanted to comment on little Michael and praise him for being such a strong little soul! And also to you guys for being SO incredibly strong and upbeat during all this! You have a little miracle baby and are so blessed! I will continue to follow his progress and pray for you all. In the meantime, I'm also praying for my own to keep his little self inside me for at least another 10 weeks or so!! Hang in there..we love you!
Thank you for the update. I am so glad to hear his intestines are improving :)
Kris and Mike,
I'm thinking about you guys so much and my prayers are filled with Michael. Please know you are in so many people's thoughts down here--family, friends, co-workers, etc.! I am thinking about Michael constantly and I'm just so proud of my 3-week-old nephew! It doesn't matter how many times it gets said...he is truly our miracle baby.
Love you all!
All my friends and co-workers at Nazareth Hospital are pulling for little Michael and Mom & Dad. Love you all. So glad to be getting good news.
Hi Kris and Mike... Just want you guys to know that little Michael is in my prayers every day! I'm so sorry you are having to deal with these issues and struggles, but it sounds like Michael is in a great place and will continue to improve. Just remember to take care of yourselves and each other!
Love you, Kris! I think about you guys all the time...
Kim
We are all thinking about you, Mike and Michael. OUr continued thoughts and prayers are with you all. Michael is in good hands and has so many friends and family two love him so much.
We love you guys
Stacy & Harvey (and the dog pound too, of course.)
HUGS sister!
Kris,
This is Sarah (Lovemyalliegirl) from the boards. I just wanted to let you know I've been following your story,and keeping y'all in my thoughts and prayers. My family is praying for you as well!
Lil' Michael you've got your Mom's determination -Keep it up! Keep getting better,and keep growing.
Kris, you're amazing!
{Hugs}
Sarah in NC
Post a Comment