Today Michael weighed in at 2 lbs 13 ounces and he will be getting his third dose of medicine to close the open ductus in his heart. Tomorrow a repeat echo ultra sound will confirm this. His oxygen level is pretty much room air so that's GREAT and he'll be back to feedings soon.
This mornings "hands-on" time was great because I held him "kangaroo" style. This is when mommy puts on a gown, sits in a recliner and they put Michael to my chest - skin to skin. It was so nice to hold him so close and he relaxed for about a half hour. Studies in Europe and the U.S. have shown that this type of holding aids the younger babies in their growth and helps with vital signs, etc. He is a feisty guy - one nurse uses 'rowdy' - and he scooted from the center of my chest to resting his head near my chest...I think babies have the natural ability to root towards a feeding source :) I then held him for a bit in a regular position with him swaddled - daddy was there and held him for a bit too.
This mornings "hands-on" time was great because I held him "kangaroo" style. This is when mommy puts on a gown, sits in a recliner and they put Michael to my chest - skin to skin. It was so nice to hold him so close and he relaxed for about a half hour. Studies in Europe and the U.S. have shown that this type of holding aids the younger babies in their growth and helps with vital signs, etc. He is a feisty guy - one nurse uses 'rowdy' - and he scooted from the center of my chest to resting his head near my chest...I think babies have the natural ability to root towards a feeding source :) I then held him for a bit in a regular position with him swaddled - daddy was there and held him for a bit too.
2 comments:
So glad to hear that MIchael is progressing. Keep growing little man!
He's beautiful.
Keep that feisty spirit! It'll carry you a long way little one.
Post a Comment